Friday 14 August 2015

Krakow part 2 & Prague

Medieval Square
Hello! I'm pretty tired after many many busy days! So since my last post I did a day tour to Auschwitz and the Birkenau concentration camp. It was a good lesson and something to see as it was only 70 years ago which is unbelievable. But I have to say I found it very touristy- probably just that time of year and perhaps the tour guide contributed to that. Not really sure- just because I expected to go there and cry or be very moved at least but it hardly even felt real or there was no chance to feel that way. Maybe if you go by yourself it would be a bit different. But I'm glad I went, aside from being 38 degrees (which the tour guide said because of the humidity the real temperature is actually 45 degrees!) Well NO wonder I've been absolutely dying lately haha. The whole two weeks east has been a heatwave with no relief- and they don't do air conditioning here...
Anyway- after that I did a 3 hour walking tour of Old Town and then finished the day with a nice beer and Perogi in the famous Medieval Square. Even though that was the most expensive place to eat and drink (I thought I'd splash out)- it still cost me only $10 NZD for both. Incredible.

Salt Mines
The next day I did a trip to the ancient Salt Mines which is Poland's number one attraction. It was really cool down there, the whole thing goes 1000 feet underground but we went only 3 floors which was 200 ish feet and that was big enough! I really enjoyed the tour and that was before I found out that practically everyone important and famous had been there too- even Benedict Cumberbatch (last year) and JRR Tolkien! After that I joined a food and drink tour which was very delicious! We tried so many new things and learned about Polish traditions. I had herring, lard on bread, 3 shots of vodka, pickles, meats etc. I was very full and satisfied. Afterwards the tour guide invited us all for a beer so we spent a couple of hours outside at a cool beer garden in the Jewish Quarter which was incredibly cheap. 

There I found out that the tour guide is actually famous in NZ! Well- I knew who he was anyway. At the start of the tour I straight away noticed he had the 'one ring to rule them all' elvish script around his arm and I said' nice tattoo! I have the same one! So obviously we got talking and then he said I'll show you something cool later. So I brought that up again while we were having beers and he didn't say anything, just found something on his phone and showed it to me- and it was an article that I instantly recognised- my mouth fell open and I said "Oh my god THAT'S YOU!"
Ol' Town margaritas
So he was all over our media because he was this guy from Poland that was a die hard LOTR fan and he was in Wellington trying to attract attention as he wanted to be in The Hobbit, so he dressed as an orc in the streets. 
It's such a small world and so funny that I met him! Of course I got a picture taken with him- he's a legend!
I also made a friend from France on the tour who was also in Krakow by herself and after that we went back to Old Town and found a nice spot to have a frozen margarita in the Medieval Square.


The next day was a long bus ride to Prague via Wroclaw, another big Polish city. It took about 9 hours in total to get there. After I settled into my new accommation- which is right in town, it's so perfect, I just wandered around, saw some cool stuff, got lost- the usual! 

My first proper day in Prague I started with my first starbucks since I went to London in April mmm, and I also had a traditional Czech donut for breakfast, super healthy. The old town square there is absolutely breathtaking- I can't get enough of the architecture! And it's such a huge hub, a real thriving environment packed with people, food, entertainment, it's really cool. I came across a train caddy thing that was doing one hour rides around the main sights of Prague. I decided that would be a great way to start off and see what's around, so jumped on. 
After that I did a 3 hour walking tour which was great, also for the history lessons, and then I did a 4 hour pub and pivo (beer) tour. Very big day! It was nice hanging out with people for the evening. We tried three kinds of Czech beer in three different traditional pubs. I was very keen to try the beer as I heard it's the best in the world, and they also claim it to be- but I thought that simply can't be true after living in Germany where in my opinion it is absolute liquid gold and the very best! And, I can now contribute to the argument- nope Germany wins! Czech beer is still very nice though (and at only 1 Euro a pint who could complain?!)
At the final beer place everyone decided to have dinner as well and I got very delicious slow cooked beef cheeks in dark beer and crispy potato cakes mmm.
Amazing architecture
Oh yeah also a random guy in the street during the day (that I went up to cause he was holding a snake- which I patted) asked where I was from and when I said NZ and he goes KIWI- and he looks straight at my feet and says "Where are your jandals??" hahaha I just found that so funny so I had to share.

My last full day here I walked around in the morning and then did a tour of the largest castle in the world in the afternoon. I really loved the St. Vivus Catherdral, and the castle was very impressive. The view over Prague from the top of the hill was really incredible, as was walking back over the famous Charles Bridge. Very enjoyable time here! I finished off with another delicious pub meal and beer and fought my way home through the crowds of people everywhere. I must say due to the heat and throngs of people I don't think I would ever come back to Europe in summer again! 

But yes I have a had such a great two weeks of solo travel- I've seen so many amazing things in such a short time- it's unreal! 

This afternoon I'm off to Dublin and I'm very excited to meet up with my friends. Hooray no more wining and dining alone! It is also going to be a high of 18 degrees- so I'll be complaining of the cold next! Catch you later from the UK :)


Don't really want to put up many pics from Auschwitz. This will do.
Salt Mines. Pics didn't turn out that well as it was so dark.




Vodka, lard and herring- interesting combo!
Best perogi yet on the food tour!

Legendary tour guide!

Ponies in old town
Krakow Medieval Square

Krakow Castle


Prague:

Excellent breakfast


They even serve beer at Burger King here!
Prague Old Town square
Gorgeous view from the Castle
St Vivius cathedral

Inside the cathedral

Famous astronomical clock

Charles Bridge in the background
View at night of the castle

No comments:

Post a Comment